Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Bridal Party

Having been in several weddings in addition to my own, I know that the bride's/family is not the only one strained for money.

Many brides want their attendants looking perfect - meaning their bridesmaids have to spend upwards of about $150 or so on a dress, about $50 on an up-do, and shoes, jewelry, not to mention the wedding gift.

Fortunately, for the weddings I was in, the brides did a wonderful job on cutting a lot of the costs for the attendants.  Personally, at my wedding, I tried to do the same - I felt bad asking my sisters and closest friends to spend hundreds on my wedding.  So here are a few tricks-of-the-trade that I used, and some I saw others use, to help your attendants look great without spending a fortune.

Bridesmaids

-For my girls' dresses - I chose a color (clover green), and a length (knee or tea) - and told them to choose whichever David's Bridal dress they wanted.  The color I chose gave them a lot of options - DB has A LOT of clover green dresses.  And remember - it's really important that your girls feel comfortable in what they're wearing - which is why I tend to favor a variety of dress styles.  My matron of honor and I also discovered that if you search for "David's Bridal bridesmaid dresses" on eBay - many options turned up - several in clover green.  One of my attendants even chose this option - it was a full length dress and she had her mother shorten it.  And she looked fab :O)

-At Kate's wedding - one of the bridesmaids made the dresses herself - we just paid her for the fabric.

-Amazon has a lot of options for bridesmaids dresses also - at Katie's wedding - she bought the dresses off Amazon and we paid her back - they were adorable and only $60!


-Shoes - Since I had a summer wedding I took this option - David's Bridal has come out with adorable, dressy flip-flops in their signature colors.  I asked my bridesmaids for their shoe sizes, and bought them the flip flops as their gift from me :O)

-Nails - go to a store (or stores) and search for a nail color that perfectly matches the dresses (it is possible - we did it for Katie's wedding and mine) - buy a couple bottles and have a mini-salon the night before the wedding - we managed to do this at Katie's after we went out for drinks, and at mine after my bachelorette party at home.

-Jewelry - if you want your bridesmaids to have matching necklaces/jewelry - this makes the perfect bridesmaid favors!  Katie got us all pearl necklaces.  Kate got us matching shawls (it was a late-September, outdoor wedding).

Hair - if you know someone who does hair (again - look at your resources) - ask her if she'd be willing to do the bridesmaids' hair for a slightly discounted price.  Katie did this for her wedding - we only had to pay $20 each for an up-do.  You could also give your girls the option of either going to the salon with you or doing their own hair.

Groomsmen

-Apart from having the groomsmen wear a full tux I've been to weddings that used one of these options - and the guys still looked great - 

-Black pants, white dress shirt, and matching ties.

-Black pants, white tux shirt, and full back vest (no jacket)

Hopefully this helps some brides who are in the same dilemma I was in (feeling bad asking the bridesmaids to spend money) - and hopefully you see that your girls don't have to fork out a bunch of money to look fabulous at your wedding!

Happy Wedding Planning!

3 comments:

  1. Yay! I love this :) Thankfully we have a frugal brunch of friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen it where if the guys are church goer's having them all buy a suit, instead of renting a tux. They'll get more than one wear for the same amount of money!

    I've also seen the guys where sweater vests instead of renting vests. (I don't know if this link will work-if you're not friends with the owner; https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=602498915572&set=t.178200380&type=1&theater)

    In our wedding I had the guys all buy a pair of AllStar Converse Shoes, instead of renting the shoe's that came with the tux. It was a tradition so some of the groomsman already had them from previous weddings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bridal parties are fabulous and with best friends they become more wonderful. Booking one of the budgeted LA venue was the best choice made by my cousin for his cocktail party. Delicious dinner followed by variety of desserts was appreciable. Even the drinks ordered online were of great quality.

    ReplyDelete