Friday, May 20, 2011

Welcome!

Welcome to my new blog!

The main purpose of this blog is to provide some very helpful tips to brides who want their special day to be perfect, but don't want to break the bank in the process.

I recently went through the whole wedding-planning process myself, and with a lot of help from my sister - my own personal wedding consultant - I was able to have an absolutely splendid wedding on my very small budget.

Here are a few general tips to start out with:

#1) Take the time to stop and look at your resources - mainly, who do you know?  Do you have a friend/cousin/sister/aunt/etc. who's crafty? who can sew? who bakes? cooks? who can do graphics? who knows half the business owners in town and can get you some good deals?

#2) Write out every little detail that needs to be planned - from the ceremony/reception locations, to the dress, and right down to the programs and favors (buying a wedding planning book is extremely helpful in this department - they run anywhere from $15-$30. Check out Barnes and Noble).  
Look at each item and decide how important it is to have the absolute best (a stunning location, a breath-taking dress, the 5-star meal your guests will never forget, etc.).  Rate each one on a scale from 1-4 (1-extremely important, 2-somewhat important, 3-not too important, 4-you don't care).
Now you can take a step back, look at your list and decide where you need to put your money, and where you don't mind going the home-made route.

#3) From the minute you're engaged, be on the look-out for sales.  Keep an eye on David's Bridal to see when they're having their $99 dress sales - the dresses on sale vary each time and according to location, so keep checking it out - your dream-dress may just show up!
Also look out for sales at places like Hobby Lobby, Michael's, and any other craft store - they are great places to get supplies for favors, center pieces, and decor.  My mother-in-law caught a sale at Hobby Lobby - 90% off all wedding supplies - she got me a ton of tulle, ribbon, bubbles, a beautiful guest book and pen, and thank you cards - all for super cheap.

So, if you find yourself planning a wedding - and slowly realizing that weddings cost a fortune - do not dispair, I am here to help!  Let me pass on some of my money-saving ideas and craftiness (just take a look at some of my pictures on the sides...) to help you have the wedding you've always wanted at a price you can afford :O)


2 comments:

  1. Nice~* I love that My legs are the most tan~...hehe
    you should write about all the vast ways you can use tulle~!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I actually was planning on doing a post on that :O)

    ReplyDelete