Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Deciding Where to Spend Your Money

As I've already pointed out - there are several ways to cut corners at your wedding and still have everything look fabulous.  On the other hand, there are some areas where, in my (and my sister's) experience, it is wiser to spend the extra money.

So if you tried what I suggested in my first post - about writing down all the expenses and determining how important it was that you had the best of each one - and need some help deciding where to put your money, and where to save - keep reading.  Even if you already have it all figured out, KEEP READING!

It is your day - therefore it is completely up to you - on where you want to invest most of your money on your wedding, and where you can save.  However, there are a few areas that I have found are more important for most, if not all, brides to spend more rather than less.  Between my sister's and my weddings, we have learned the hard way that saving money in certain areas greatly risks the quality of the product.

So here's a brief list on where you can spend less and where you need to spend more on your wedding - 

You can do without:

-The elegant drapery and sashes on the reception chairs - true, they look incredible, but most reception locations have fairly nice chairs to begin with, they don't need to be covered up.

-The "signature drink" at the reception (I saw this one on an episode of Platinum Weddings).

-The free bar - if you go with a cash bar, most places will have you pay an amount up front, and if they make more than that, they reimburse you.  We went without a bar, period - and our guests still had a wonderful time - but that's really up to you.

-Generally speaking, when it comes to centerpieces - you can always make your own for much cheaper - most are some type of arrangement of glass vases/bowls, and flowers or candles.  Candles are much less expensive - but you can also get very nice looking fake flowers at your local craft store for much less than the real thing.

-The massive wedding cake that serves two, three, or five times the number of guests you have attending.  Remember - small cakes can be beautiful too :O)

-The professional wedding coordinator.  I had my sister coordinate my wedding.  Choose someone you trust - who either knows your style/what you want, or has very similar ideas.  Someone who is from the town your wedding is taking place in is a plus.  It's also a plus if s/he knows a lot of people.  I chose my sister because she was from Three Rivers, knew me well, and between her and her husband, knew half the county.  She got me a deal on my photographer, she got me into the church earlier than normal to decorate, she had experience planning her own wedding, and she's GREAT at party planning in general.

You CANNOT do without:

-A professional tailor for your wedding dress.  Trust me - I went with someone who was not professional, but had a lot of experience sewing.  While she did a wonderful job on my sister's bridesmaid dress and the flower girl dresses, I GREATLY regret not spending the extra chunk of money on getting my dress professionally altered.  Wedding gowns are very complex - there's a lot of layers and usually some ribbing to work around - you NEED a professional.

-The professional photographer.  Your wedding lasts one day.  Your pictures and your video (if you have one made) are going to be your biggest link back to your special day.  My sister had a friend - who was training to be a photographer - do the wedding pictures.  She forgot to open the shutter on over half the pictures.  My sister doesn't have any pictures of her and her husband on her wedding day! Tragic.  I know photographers can be expensive, but trust me. It's worth it.  I was lucky enough to know someone who was a professional photographer, and she gave us a discount.  Again, look at your resources!

-The dress of your dreams.  Don't get me wrong, it doesn't always cost a huge chunk of money.  Mine was $100.  My friend Erin's was $20! It depends on your taste - but you need to feel beautiful and wear a dress that fits your figure - the dress itself is part of that, the fitting is the other (like I said above...).

There you have it.  While I am here to help you save money on your wedding, I also want you to be aware that there are certain areas where you need to spring for the professional/best.  You cannot put a price on looking beautiful on your wedding day.  You cannot put a price on beautiful wedding pictures that you will have for a lifetime.

PS - check out these photographers!

-K. Redmond photography did my wedding
-Emily Smith did our engagement photos - she's brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment